Ir al contenido principal

Playlist "Ábrete de Orejas"

Interview with Joan Wasser: Joan As Police Woman in Madrid

Only a few hours before Joan Wasser, better known as Joan As Police Woman, appear on the stage of Sala El Sol in Madrid, we had time to ask her a some questions that she has kindly answered, via mail, about his new job Damned Devotion (PIAS) and other things of life.


1.- More than a decade since "Real Life" publication are able to change the point of view of a young composer like you. ¿What are the most important changes that Joan has experimented?
Honestly, I still feel like each song I start is my first. I keep it open so I allow the music to flow as it will, rather than where I “think” it should go. The fact that listeners responded so positively to my music has certainly made me more confident. I made Real Life in 2004/5. Since then, technology has changed drastically. I do a lot of recording in my home studio now as well. 

2.- "Damned Devotion" (PIAS) is your new release and seems to be an approach to your roots with an extended social criticism. Talking about music, ¿which were the recent influences on you that are reflected on your new album?

The album is about devotion, yes. Losing oneself to love is a theme that’s found in a lot of my records. This one focuses a lot on what I miss when I’m in a period of devotion; all the cues I could have seen, the advice I could have taken. It’s also very much about communication, in both personal settings and much larger settings. The song, ‘The Silence’ uses recordings I took of the Women’s March in DC shortly after the current administration took office. The refrain is “It’s the silence that’s dulling the blade”. It’s about staying sharp and vocal. Raising our voices is one of  the best ways to make change happen. 

3.- These are hard times for free opinion and maybe better for losing rights. ¿Do you think music is already a better way to protest, by giving voice to all the people that can not do it?

Music is what I have as a way of expression. If people latch onto a refrain, great. But whatever way you protest is the best way for you. Locate where your power lies and use it to make change. 

4.- ¿What is the new Joan that we can see on stage? People is always waiting for your strenght, strong and modulated voice, hard strings, ..

I am touring with 3 incredible musicians, Parker Kindred on drums, Jacob Silver on bass and Eric Lane on keys. I play guitar and keys myself and we all do a lot of singing. You need to see the live show to feel the energy and musicality. 

5.- I was seeing you on tour with "The Cover" on 2009 and I have a sign CD and a photo with you (is my treassure!). ¿How do you feel the sweetie and admiration from public?

I meet my fans after every show. It’s the best way for me to learn how people feel about the show and what direction to take next. 

6.- ¿What do you think about social media and digital platforms? They are always controversy.

Social media is great if used in a caring manner. Human beings seem to need to fight so therefore social media will also include fighting. It’s an unfortunate part of our species. It’s not social media, it’s human beings who have deep psychological problems. 

7.- I think musicians from United States that have critical attitude with the stablishment have an special halo in other countries like in Europe. Probably, you are considered one of the respected outsiders artist. From the inside, ¿have you more difficulties than others artist in order to put up your music all around the USA? ¿Are you censored in some way?

Honestly, I don’t work much in the US. I play in NYC, where I live, and rarely play anywhere else in the US. NYC is not representative of the whole country. I still feel safe because I live amongst like-minded people. Who knows how much longer that will last. The massive wave of censorship happening in the US and the world is tragic. But I believe in the end, freedom will always prevail. 

8.- ¿What do you think about spanish audience? Your shows are always well received and desired by us.

I love the Spanish audience! I always look forward to playing here. There is so much energy here. Plus so many amazing musicians!

9.- I would like to thank you for your time and finish with the last question: ¿have you heard some spanish artists and which one is highlighted for you?
You have to tell me what to listen to! I am never current on music from even my own country! I count on people to tell me what’s great! 
Thank you greatly for this interview!

We can’t wait to play Madrid!

Many thanks to Joan for her time and her answers. We can not wait to see you again!

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

Enrique Bunbury - "Enganchado a ti"

Hay ocasiones en las que sientes algún tipo de adicción y, hasta ahora, no he encontrado mejor canción para expresarlo con tanta claridad de ideas. En su tercer álbum Flamingos , el carismático Enrique Bunbury incluyó esta magnífica Enganchado a ti que puede aplicarse a muchas de esas debilidades. Cuando la escuchas, puedes pensar que se está refiriendo a casi cualquier cosa. Lo puedes aplicar a cualquier aspecto de tu vida. Puedes estar enganchado a las drogas, al alcohol, al tabaco, al juego... pero, me gusta pensar que la letra se refiere a la adicción por una persona. Con cada uno de los versos, se va creando un mundo en el que todos nos podemos sentir identificados alguna vez y sentimos esa extraña sensación de falta de dominio de la situación, porque estamos totalmente enganchados. En mi caso, además, tengo que admitir mi adicción a este animal de escenario y la quiero compartir con todos vosotros. Aunque al vídeo le falte algo de luz, desde mi punto de vista, tiene u

David Guetta feat. Sia - "Titanium"

Vamos a escoger una manera impactante para comenzar nuestro año en el blog y la va a protagonizar David Guetta , con su impresionante tema " Titanium ". ¿Por qué me gusta esta canción? Pues porque, a medida que avanza, va entrelanzando los medios tiempos iniciales con una explosión de sonido que te lleva, en segundos, desde no escuchar nada a la máxima potencia, justo en el estribillo, para luego descender al suelo y volver al tiempo marcado por una guitarra apagada, tal y como empieza. Si a esto se une que este hombre posee una habilidad particular consistente en rodearse de voces femeninas potentes (en esta ocasión se trata de la australiana  Sia ) da como resultado una pieza que te pone los pelos de punta, en según que momentos claro. Por si me queréis acompañar, aquí tenéis el link para ver el vídeo y, si no tenéis ganas de verlo ahora, arriba tenéis la canción a secas, que ya es suficiente por si sola. Debo reconocer que este es uno de esos temas que me hubier

Programación definitiva del Monkey Week SON Estrella Galicia 2019 en Sevilla

La nueva batida de artistas confirmados para la undécima edición del Mokey Week SON Estrella Galicia 2019 ya es un hecho. Del 20 al 23 de noviembre, Sevilla se vuelve a convertir en el centro cultural donde sonará la música del mañana. En esta ocasión, quince nombres se añaden a la programación: Badlands, Betty Miserias & Pío Paradox, Bosco, Combo Chabela, Dj Prim, El Petit de Cal Eril, Ferrán Palau, I Am Dive, INC, Le Parody, Magick Brother Mystic Sister, Moreira, Núria Graham, Ramón Mirabet , y St Woods . Además, la undécima edición de Monkey Week SON Estrella Galicia contará un año más con las Jornadas Profesionales Eventbrite Monkey Brain, una programación que volverá a desarrollarse entre las paredes del fantástico Espacio Santa Clara (C/ Becas, s/n), un antiguo palacio almohade y también convento de clarisas en su día, reconvertido hoy en epicentro de la actividad profesional del festival. El Espacio Santa Clara acogerá desde el miércoles 20 de noviembre y hasta